Setting up PPTP access under Windows 8.
1. Open Network and Sharing Centre
Right click onto your networking icon in the sys tray and select 'Open Network and Sharing Centre'
2. Set up the VPN connection
Click on 'Set up a new connection or Network'.
3. Choose the Connection Type
On the next screen, click on 'Connect to a workplace' then click 'Next'.
4. Using an Existing Connection (if it appears
If you are asked if you would like to use an existing connection choose 'No, create a new connection' or 'Use my Internet connection (VPN)'.
5. Enter the server information
Enter the VPNUK server IP Address and a Destination name then place a tick in the checkbox labeled 'Remember my credentials'. Then click the 'Create' button. You can find the server information in your 'Welcome to VPNUK' email or in the 'Client CP' on the VPNUK website.
6. Open Networking
Click onto the networking icon in the sys tray.
7. Connection Properties
Right click onto the VPNUK connection and select 'View connection properties'.
8. Select Options
In the properties window, you should see the server you setup ealier, click onto the 'Options' tab.
9. Options - Remember credentials.
Select the 'Remember my credentials' option, then click onto the 'Security' tab.
10. Choose The 'Type of VPN'
From the dropdown menu choose the '(PPTP)' option. Then click onto the 'Advanced Settings' button.
11. Click OK
Click onto the 'OK' button to save all the changes.
12. Thats It!! Connect to VPNUK
You have now configured the VPNUK PPTP connection on Windows 8. Click onto the active conection from the taskbar which will open the Networking menu.
13. Click Connect
Select the VPN connection that you would like to connect to and click 'Connect'.
ISP DNS Hijack / DNS Leak Protection
Some ISPs will attempt to hijack your DNS settings which hinders the VPN connection from functioning correctly. If you find that your VPNUK connection does not route your traffic correctly you can try changing your Public DNS server to the VPNUK DNS server or to an alternative like Google DNS.
1. Right click onto your network connection icon in the sys tray and select 'Open Network and Sharing Centre'.
2. Go to 'View Network Adapters' from the left hand menu.
3. Right click onto your active Ethernet or Wireless Connection and select 'Properties'.
4. Double click onto 'TCP/IPv4' from the list of items.
5. Enter a DNS IP into the DNS server box. Google DNS is 18.104.22.168. VPNUK Public DNS is: 22.214.171.124